Secure Your Rights

Liberal Pragamtic, with horrible spelling. Discussion and venting on the arts, politics, and the future of America.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Later Scott


Well, I've been sort of out of the tirade loop for the past week or so but now that the show is open I can get back on my high horse. A lot has "happened" in the past couple weeks regarding dear leader and his gang of regressives.

Scott McClellan, what can I say. He never made much of an impression. Ari at least had some style, Scott looked and acted like some kind of middle manager for a auto parts supply company. I though he was a liar the first time I saw him, so I wan't really shoked that he got up on stage and lied to the country over and over and over and over and over again. Am I happy he's gone? Sure. Does it make a difference? No. There isn't anything that will make a difference until November. So all the liberals can probably stop rejoicing that the administration is completely falling apart.

I mean, whopptey do. They screwed up so badly that they had to resort to hiring actual government types rather than tunnel visoned ideologues. Really does anyone think Karl Rove being "stripped" of his policy duties is a good thing? Personally I like the round mound of rhetoric to be as distracted as possible. Bu t now he is "free" to go off and plant bugs in the offices of "in danger" republican candidates and smear war veterans.

He never really did anything with his policy position anyway. I mean, what kind of policy has this administration had? It's all tax cuts (which means getting rid of policy,) and war. There was that little Social Security thing in 2005, but who do you think they were kidding (apart from themselves.) It's the third rail of American Politics for a reason.

I was watching Bill Maher last night and he said something that I've been trying to articulate for about two years now. Bush likes to compare himself to FDR (excuse me while I vomit and Frank spins freely in his grave) but really he's the antithesis. FDR inherited a divided country with the worst economy in history and united the country and built the strongest middle class the world has ever seen. Bush (after 911) inherited a unified country with the strongest economic growth the world had ever seen, and proceeded to sharply divide the country and spiral the deficit so out of control that the recovery could take 15 to 20 years(this is all paraphrased.)

Roosevelt knew that he was going to have to take extreme measures to fix a failing country; he said so in his first inaugural address. He talked about sacrifice, dignity, and the need to rethink old interpretations of the constitution in order to achieve progress or be swallowed by an economic system that favored only the haves. I think more and more that we are on the verge of being right back in that situation. The circumstances are different, and instead of bread lines they will probably be gas lines (and not the semi civil lines of the 1970's, no way Americans are way to greedy now, people are going to get shot over this.) Our only hope is to get some power back to the Democratic Party. Oversight, policy initiative, real government, it's the only way to neutralize the child we have at the helm of our country right now (re: "I'm the decider," have you ever heard a grown man sound more like a 6 year old boy?)

On another note: Heather Higgins from the Independent Women's Forum was on Real Time with Bill Maher as well, and the lady wouldn't let anyone answer. I saw three men trying their damnedest to be polite and respectful to someone who consistently would not let more experienced panelists speak. I'm mean, who the hell do you think you are (male or female) to lecture Ret. General Anthony Zinni about the situation in Iraq? I actually though she would try and interrupt the Satellite guests, and those are pre-taped. It's not a male\female thing, it's actually been going on all season. The panels on that show used to be great, intelligent, entertaining, and thoughtful discussion - now every week I either see four people yelling at each other (even when they agree) or some moron taking advantage of civil discourse to try and sound intelligent (and maybe get a talking head gig on a 24 news out let in the process.) I know one answer will be "read abook," but damnit I just have to say something before the show just becomes a more expensive version of Cross-Fire.

3 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger hpmelon said...

I loved that bit about FDR on Maher as well, I don't think Maher said it though. I think it was Mortimer Zuckerman, or the 'mouth' Heather Higgins.

I, like mb, am also having a harder time watching Maher, not because of the bore factor, but rather because of the bratty kid quality that Bill seems to embody more and more. He used to go off on tirades, now there seems to be a lot of whining.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Thehairyape said...

It may have been Morty, I'll check the TIVO.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Thehairyape said...

Checked last night, it was Rahm Emmanuel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home