Secure Your Rights

Liberal Pragamtic, with horrible spelling. Discussion and venting on the arts, politics, and the future of America.

Friday, May 05, 2006

My Trip to Court

So Monday I had jury duty. I was not so down on it, except that I had to be in Rockville by 8:30 am, which is about an hour and a half before I get to work. The summons encouraged using mass transit, and since the last time I filled my car up it cost $50.00, I took the metro.

The metro ride from Silver Spring to Rockville is wasteful and long, but better than driving. (Yes, I know there is a bus, but I have been boycotting buses since 1999.) And, as I found out, much better than having to park.

I went through security, and a strip of Claratin almost got me arrested - this is apparently the only place that metal detectors really work. I got up to the 4th floor Jury Lounge, and it was packed. I turned in my summons and stood at the back of the room.

The room holds up to 500, and there were over 600 called. So after a brief introduction by the commissoner, we were told to watch a orintatrion video. Which didn't work, so we got the long version - then took a 45 minute break.

After going through security again, this time my i-pod almost getting me arrested, I got back to the Jury Lounge to get my assignment. There was one 5 week trial on the docket, and they called jurors 2 through (and including) 405 for that trial. My number? 100. So over 300 people began filing down to the 3rd floor. (right 300, cause they don't use all the numbers, but for some reason they do do "a" of duplicate numbers?)

As I inched my way toward the court room, I looked down on a small table with a couple of laptops on it. There in the middle I saw a press packet that read:

MEDIA GUIDE
For the Mater of
The State of Maryland
v.
John Allen Mohammed

I looked at the ceiling and muttered to myself in that "I don't want to be heard, but I also can't be silent," way that I have become rather imfamous for, "Oh Shit." The older woman next to me was un-pleased. I got into the court room, and again they didn't have enough seats. After telling everyone to make more room in the gallery, Judge Ryan instructed those closest to the front to sit i the jury box. Guess what, thats where I sat.

From the jury box, I was no more that 10 feet from the "Sniper." The memories from 2002 rushed in. Running through parking lots in a zig zag pattern, realizing all the places I had been that people were killed, the police activity in Bethesda (I was working at Roundhouse Theatre,) and the traffic as the police searched for white vans.

I answered a series of "yes" and "no" questions, and then was released until 1pm. I was told to return for a interview at that time. So I did, and was turned away from the court room and told t0 return to the Jury Lounge. And there I remained until 7:30pm. I was never interviewed. In fact they only got to Juror 72 on Monday.

I was told to call in the following day after 5, I did and was told to call again after 5 on Wednesday. On Wednesday, I was told to report on Thursday. I did, and after a half and hour I was excused again without an interview. So now I'm free.

I hope he gets a fair trial, and goes to jail for be one of the worst domestic terrorist this country has ever seen.

1 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Thehairyape said...

Well the bus and I have a long standing disagreement. I realize that it is the only affordable and accessable means of transit for many of the working class, however I see it it as a big, slow, inefficient waste of taxpayer money.

Since I am a private driver, I come in contact with the bus as an obstical. The stops are too frequent in conjested areas, causing more conjestion, and too few in more remote areas (like the last time I took the bus, and was dropped off over 2 miles from my destination in a snow storm.)

Just because they run on "clean" natural gas doesn't make them efficent or a tool of conservation. It's still a fossil fuel. When they start runnin on ethnol I might revisit the issue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home