Secure Your Rights

Liberal Pragamtic, with horrible spelling. Discussion and venting on the arts, politics, and the future of America.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

BAM, BAM BAM...BAM

I just got back to the office after the Cardin rally at the University of Maryland this morning. Speakers included Ben Cardin, Kweisi Mfume, Paul Sarbanes, the unfortunate president of the Maryland College Democrats, rock star Barak Obama, and...Senator Barbara Ann Mikulski.

I got up early this morning, so I apologize for any disjointed thoughts. I'm not good at counting crowds but the outdoor amphitheatre beside the Stamp Student Union was full. Lots of love for Kweisi Mfume, who was very gracious in his defeat. My boy Josh Rales showed up as well. The entire Democratic ticket seemed to be there (my congressman was not, I guess Chris was busy) and it was a strong showing of party unity.

Barak Obama spoke very well. He really has the folks sense of humor/actual substance thing down, which is nice to see. What I like about Maryland is that the Democrats here talk to union people still. They speak to the working class, because they have been fighting for them in this state and in the federal government for years. This could be one of only a hand full of states where unions matter. Obama also delivered common sense solutions on healthcare (though the common sense solution thing does sound a bit “Arnold Vinikesque.)

That was the message I came away with:
1) We must find a solution to Iraq
2) Universal Healthcare
3) Michael Steele probably DOES like puppies (though I still want to see proof.)

The other thing I got was, that everyone is scared of Barbara Mikulski. And they are right to be so. See stepped up to the podium...literally...she’s like 4'10"...and immediately energized a sleepy crowd, glazing over having just listened to a ineffectual President of Maryland College Democrats who insisted on introducing someone who had not yet arrived (not much of a "think on your feet" guy.) Everyone had something nice to say about BAM, and you kind of got the feeling that if they didn't they would have there ankles bitten off. Hey, that's cool with me. Now in a new Congress, perhaps the DEM's will give her a high profile chairmanship. She got a good bully voice, I'd like to hear her announce the investigations that are sure to come with a Democratic victory Nov. 7.

Guess what...42 Days until the General Election...get involved or get out of the way (and by that I mean, Republicans stay home.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home