Secure Your Rights

Liberal Pragamtic, with horrible spelling. Discussion and venting on the arts, politics, and the future of America.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Lend me your ears

As probably one of my first acts of doing something stupid in order to seem more intelligent; when I was in 8th grade I chose to learn Latin, and once I had made that decision, I was then stuck with it until after my sophomore year of high school. I chose to stop at three years because I was very bad at Latin, and my Latin teacher was the worst teacher in the entire school - I learned this from the other teachers, it's not that he was a hard ass, or merciless...he just was incapable of helping people learn, but apparently could coach a baseball team.

In any event, since I have a mind full of facts about the roman empire I was very excited at the prospect of Rome on HBO last year. Alexander Strain and I watched and evaluated it as we slogged through a show which I will not name (this will be tough to figure out as we did 3 together during this time period.) I was pleasantly surprised last year, and very impressed with the show, however this season I have detected a disturbing theme which seems to be taking over the entire show. I am speaking of the ass sex. There have been three episodes so far, and suddenly everyone is getting corn-holed. Sometimes it's young children, sometimes whores, and sometimes it's done as a punishment.

The punishment seems odd in a world where everyone seems to enjoy this kind of sex. How is that a punishment? Perhaps they are just punishing me.

The sexual content of Rome is certainly one of the draws of the show, and perhaps now that they have an audience they may feel they can get more realistic with the sexuality of the Romans, but you know they could have given me a heads up. Like a notice at the top of the show that says "Warning to Straight Guys: Contains Buggery!"

Just to be clear, I have no problem with the buggery, and support the accuracy they are trying to represent. And maybe it has done to me what they wanted to do, catch me off guard. I also hear a lot is going to happen with Octavian coming up - and he has been re-cast to do a passage of time thing. I'm not giving up on Rome, but I might get a screener for future episodes,

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger hpmelon said...

I am a big fan of Rome. I enjoy the take they have on the history and there is equal oppotunity nudity happening. But I will admit that this past week the thought did occur to me - "Dude, I am glad I don't live in ancient Rome, or I might have to get anally raped whilst my head is in poo."

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Thehairyape said...

it would be interesting if he was singing the "Poo" song while his head was in poo, and being anally raped.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home