Secure Your Rights

Liberal Pragamtic, with horrible spelling. Discussion and venting on the arts, politics, and the future of America.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Back Around

Back from a jaunt to the depths of our federal government...a bit sunburned, very tired, and have seen way to much stuff I really didn't want to see.

Let me jump right- WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? I go away for a week and the world exploded into absolute chaos. Hezbollah and Israel have broken out into all out war, and we can't even get our citizens out of Lebanon! Katrina anyone? The logistical nightmare continues with this administration, and this time it's rockets, not water, that they can't get it together to save out citizens from. To quote a friend of mine form years past "ARGLE BARGLE!" (I think that's Gargamel too.)

You know, it seems to me that every time the United States is bogged down in an unpopular war, Israel jumps right in a starts another war with Lebanon. This is very similar to the 1968 conflict in its timing. I am not suggesting that Israel started this conflict. Hezbollah started it, but should the people of Lebanon suffer the consequences? If you hurt innocents trying to get to the bad guy, does that not make you the bad guy too?

The United States is responsible for this behavior. This is the model that we developed in post invasion Iraq. Therefore; we are morally obligated to change our model and lead the way for our allies to the high ground. We need to make our responses more surgical, smaller, accurate...eventually develop an anti terror response that targets these extremists the way they target us. It is time for new leadership, and since we can not change our own "decider" of another few years, then the change need to come at DOD. We must have a 21st Century thinker as Secretary of Defense, not the best military mind the GOP had in 1975.

Being a liberal does not mean you have to be anti defense, or in some cases war. It's about how the response is calculated. Liberals will try any idea that might work; conservatives will just keep using a system that worked at one time, until they have turned it into a complete failure (see Herbert Hoover.)

Before I go, here is a nice what if that a friend sent me.

1 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger hpmelon said...

I just posted my own thoughts on the happenings in Israel and Lebanon.

As for the Gore video. I first saw that during the election and watching it now really got to me. It definately made me retrace the last 6 years and 'what if' it all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home