Secure Your Rights

Liberal Pragamtic, with horrible spelling. Discussion and venting on the arts, politics, and the future of America.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Ok, so I'm a lier...

...I have time at work to both learn lines and blog, at least for the next three days. This is really bugging me though, and it is a dangerous territory, in fact it borders on "engaging." I am quite disturbed by the commentary here, and to some extent here. The later is more of a fuel for the fire type thing, where as the former seems to be encouraging some of our demons.

This is the 8th Helen Hayes Awards that has meant anything to me. Which is really kind of a lie, as ultimately how well a show sells is the real test of the performance, I mean that is the business right? That is a longer conversation, and one that I would chose to avoid depending on the company, so back to my real point. I have been disappointed by the Helen Hayes, and I have been pleasantly surprised by them over the 8 years that I have cared. I have taken a flask with me when I know someone I don't think highly of is going to win, I've cheered loudly when a friend has won, and I have listen to people tell me that I was robbed - and that the pre-show slide show was compensation. I've told people that they were robbed, and sometimes I even meant it.

Here is what I'm getting at: This year is a really good overall mix in the nominations. This is what I thought as I read the noms on Tuesday morning. I had more problems with last years nominations (I am not a fan of having over 5 nominees in any category - I'm talking to you Outstanding Actor in a Resident Play!) Frankly with the new Ensemble Award it's kind of hard not to get nominated, and this may be the great equalizer. No one had really pointed out that there is nary an equity company in the mix for the Ensemble Award. There are like 48+ young(ish) actors and actresses that have joined the ranks of the HH Nom by adding one category - if they could only devise a way to get a like category for design I believe that they really will be on track to be the most inclusive awards ever. Which is weird, because the purpose of awards is to single out people from a group, not include everyone, thats just what they are there for.

Anyway, there is not a single new or interesting comment on these particular blogs. I've heard every argument put forward. And for the record, the young companies are responsible for not having an Obie type award, because none of them can agree - everyone approaches it in a manner most advantageous to themselves. I've been involved in these conversations more than once - it's pointless. To get a second award now that the Mary Goldwater's are gone, the smaller companies will need an independent organization.

Lastly, I'm just going to come right out and say it. Musical Theater people - you need to shut up and act professional, stop bad mouthing each other on the internet, behind each others backs, or in the lobbies of theaters. Can't you all be happy that your kind of show sells? When I first started here there was almost no competition in the musical category, in fact some theater's did a musical just because they knew it would get them a nomination. Now there is real competition, and all you do is bicker? Come on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home