Secure Your Rights

Liberal Pragamtic, with horrible spelling. Discussion and venting on the arts, politics, and the future of America.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

I have a long memory

About a year and a half ago I wrote a letter to the Washington Post. The title was "A Senate Panels Duty on NSA." I imagine if you read this blog, you have already read this letter. However, here we are with a new congress, a Democratic majority (admittedly slim,) and a floundering president who's approval rating is worse than my hit percentage in Halo 2. Yet still, our leaders seem to think they need to spy on us to keep us safe.

I have been told that there are "things I don't know about..." and that I should trust my government. I have a problem with this. For the last 6 years it has become more and more clear that our government has deceived us. Banking bills, Medicare prescription drug benefits, and tax rebate that became an advance that we were then taxed on again, No Child Left Behind leaving every child behind, and don't forget the 800,000,000,000,000,000,000 gorilla in the room...Iraq. I could go on.

The government owes us, the people, an explanation. The government's right to secrecy should be put on hold until it proves that it can be trusted. So whether Democrat or Republican, I don't trust you if you've been in Congress more than 4 years. In fact it might be worth considering expelling all representatives and senators who have served more than one term. I know what your thinking, "my god! that's gonna kill the profitability of the paid speech market!" Well, it's a small price to pay.

The republican party has been successful in their ultimate goal - proving that government doesn't work. The problem is that no one is pointing out that it's the republican party that broke it. I'd like to institute a national you broke it you bought it policy. If you break government - you have to pay for it, with your seat in Congress or presidency if necessary.

Now back to my point, the recent vote to continue and expand spying on Americans (otherwise known as warrant less wire-tapping) is just as shameful this time around as it was in 2006. However, this time it may effect how I vote - talking to you senior Senator from Maryland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home