Secure Your Rights

Liberal Pragamtic, with horrible spelling. Discussion and venting on the arts, politics, and the future of America.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Are We Lost?

You know, in the 90's I really liked this guy on SportsCenter. He was funny, in a understated and true way. That man was Keith Oberman. So now I find myself watching him and saying the same thing, but the way the format works his show gives the news all the legitamacy of, well, SportsCenter. The only saving grace is that the Tucker-I'm way too old to be wearing a bow tie-Carlson's show is even more pathetically patterned after a sports show (he even has the ESPN boxing speciallist as a segment guest, please.)

So the point is this, I see in the post today a rather irresponcible head line. There is no data available for this new revalation about the NSA spying program. None, so they troll out the old data on spying on call made to and from overseas. Like that is the same thing. Something is rotten here, people should be filling the streets, instead we are sipping prozac and watch news like it's sports.

Doesn't anyone realize that this program began in 2001, and includes hundreds of MILLIONS of Americans, the the phone records of the DNC are in there somewhere. They could easily have been spying on John Kerry, Watergate anyone?

Am I worong on this? Is it not that serious?

3 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger hpmelon said...

Outrage. If I have to listen to one more person defend this with the 'they are doing for our own good' attitude I will take a copy of 1984 and shove it down their.... The idea that this administration stepped so far over the line and all we can do is watch, is enraging.

I am just warming up my tirade on this one.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger FRM115 said...

actually, they did an overnight poll, so there is some data. although the margin of error on a poll conducted that soon after the leak has to be absurd.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger The Dougressor said...

I was listening to Stephanie Miller on the way in to work this morning and they touched on a good point: most people probably don't care because they figure they've done nothing wrong, so it won't affect them. They seem to have conveniently gotten past the fact that their basic right to privacy is being infringed upon. But that's ok... so long as no one ever calls them a terrorist.

The lazy American way...if it doesn't disrupt my stopping by Starbucks in my HUGE SUV on my way to my white collar job, then why should I care?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home